FIFA World Cup expected to give online sports betting a boost in June
London, 27 May, 2010 - Sports betting-related terms accounted for 18% of all online gaming-related searches made by UK consumers in March, according to the latest research from the UK's leading independent specialist search engine optimization (SEO) and pay per click (PPC) consulting firm, Greenlight. It also expects search volumes to increase in June as consumers have a flutter on the FIFA World Cup. According to the report ' Gaming March 2010', almost 3 million searches were performed for gaming keywords in March, an increase of 300,000 since February. Poker accounted for 32%, followed by Bingo with 26% and Casino with 24%.
Greenlight used industry data to classify 700 of the most popular search terms used by UK consumers to find gaming websites. It also analysed natural search* rankings on Google to ascertain which websites and brands were positioned on page one for each term in order to produce a ranking of the top 60 most commonly appearing and prominent websites. For paid search**, Greenlight monitored the advertisers appearing in the sponsored links for the top 120 of the 700 terms analysed.
Some key findings reveal:
- In natural search, 888 held top spot of the 60 most prominent sites. It achieved 32% visibility through ranking at position one for 13 of the keywords analysed, including the high volume driving term, 'Poker', which was searched for 301,000 in March;
- By comparison, Ladbrokes achieved 18% share of voice in natural search, a large increase since Greenlight's December report, due to the inclusion of sports betting keywords. It attained position one for terms such as 'Betting', which was searched for 74,000 times;
- Betfred and Betfair achieved 12% visibility in natural search through the inclusion of sports betting keywords, which saw the brands rank at position seven and eight respectively, having previously not featured in Greenlight's top 60 league table in December 2009;
- In paid search, Betfair was the most visible advertiser, achieving 24% share of voice through bidding on 69 of the 120 keywords analysed, at an average ad position of five;
- The paid search space for gaming keywords was dominated by bingo websites. Of the top 10 advertisers, five were bingo sites, four were multi-channelled sites and one was a casino website;
- Three of WilliamHill's display URLs, which advertised separate gaming products, featured in the top 10 advertisers in March;
- Consistent with Greenlight's December report, the top gaming sites achieved greater visibility in paid search, compared to natural search, indicating that many brands are buying their way into visibility in the market.
(Table showing Greenlight's top 10 of the 60 most visible gaming websites in both natural and paid search, shows below. If you are unable to view it please contact the press office)
Top 10 of the 60 most visible gaming websites in both in natural and paid search, UK
|No.||Website/Advertiser||Natural Search||Paid Search|
Please note: If you plan to run this story online, please link any references to Greenlight via the following: http://www.greenlightsearch.com/knowledge/sector-reports/