Box 6 - Top Ten Twitter Tips
| By Greenlight
| 30 July 2012
By Patricia McElhinney, Social Media Project Manager,
When is the best time of day for a brand to post?
- According to Twitter, there are 140,000,000+ active daily users
with an average of 340,000,000 daily tweets. Content posted on
Twitter quickly disappears from most users accounts, especially on
mobile as users will not scroll more than a few times to catch up
on tweets. Therefore, it is important to tweet throughout the day
and at the times when users are most active. This can be discovered
from listening tools and analysis.
Any tips on how companies can increase their number of
followers in the lead up to Christmas?
- Create visual content which is exciting!
- Engage with your current followers and follow influential
- Create a search for keywords associated with your brand and/or
industry to ensure you are not missing out on live
- Allow social sharing on your website and ensure your Twitter
Handle is on all promotional material, email marketing, email
signatures and is clearly visible on the website.
- Participate in industry Twitter chats - Travel Goodies are
#TTOT #CruiseChat #FriFotos
- Ensure your handle is optimised for search!
- If you operate customer service on Twitter, kindly state your
hours in your information section to make users aware or they will
expect timely answers at all times of the day.
- Do not buy followers - they are wasted stats and when you
actually run a campaign, your numbers will be skewed in a negative
way. Also, it looks terrible to active followers. users and
news sites commonly report these fake followers, outing your
What is the importance of creating a hashtag for Christmas
- The power of a hashtag is crucial for a strong campaign,
especially over the Christmas period when users are bombarded with
promotions and brand campaigns. It provides an easily identifiable
visual to the brand and the campaign; it also sparks curiosity in
those who may not follow the brand. A powerful hashtag will
influence others to join the conversation, some haghtags last
longer than the campaign which provides lasting results for the
brand. Users can easily click on the hashtag to follow the
conversation and learn about the campaign, this does not require
following the brand, extending the reach of your campaign.
- Hashtags allow the brand to easily track the reach of the
campaign and brand mentions as well as find new users and
- Be creative with your hashtags but make sure they are
identifiable to the campaign. Basic keyword hashtags like #travel
and #fashion are commonly used and will not show you the true
results of your campaign. Once you've narrowed down your hashtag
choices, check to see if they already exist by using Twitter's
search function. If they do, is it positive and do you want your
brand associated with those tweets?
- Most of all, promote your hashtag so your fans know to use it!
You have to ask for what you want in social.
- Twitter recently launched Event Hashtag pages, so an offline
marketing campaign could qualify for its own page once Twitter
launches this fully. Right now, the industry suspects these will be
rolled out to big sporting and entertainment events first.
- Check out some examples of Hashtag usage from Twitter:https://dev.twitter.com/media/hashtags ]
Interesting Twitter facts/ stats?
- According to Mashable:
- There are 140+ million active users in 30 languages.
- 33% of users are 45+, 25% are 35-44 and 23% are 25-34.
- 59% are women.
- The average user spends 11:50 minutes per visit on
- 80% of users access their Twitter via mobile.
- The first Tweet from Space happened on 22 January 2010 from
- In May 2010, Lady Gaga became the first Tweeter to have over 10
million 'Little Monsters'.
- In 2011, Twitter stated a figure of around 500K each day, but
this statistic doesn't clarify if they are actual individuals or
spam bots which Twitter is unfortunately plagued by. Some argue
that users who are not active in tweeting are not useful, but users
who are on Twitter purely for receiving the most up to the minute
information on topics that matter to them are still influenced and
build brand affinity.
- Twitter kicked off in 2006 and it took three years to reach 1
billion Tweets. In 2011, it announced 1 billion tweets are sent
Does twitter have any upcoming developments that could help
companies improve their market visibility?
- Hashtags for Events - Twitter launched this new initiative via
their first commercial by teaming up with Nascar. Expect to see
this with all big events coming up!
- Improved Search - Just last week, Twitter announced they will
be rolling out new search features which will provide users with
better personalised results leading to a better overall user
- Enhanced Profiles - These will be rolled out in the coming
months, Twitter states it will increase engagement and drive
business goals. It is a great redesign of the page visually, so
brands can better brand their page visually and feature important
content by promoting a tweet which will automatically expand to
show media. Right now, this feature is only available to selected
handles. Check outNike's page for a
- Promoted Tweets - Paid packages are available from Twitter to
have a tweet promoted.
Are there any tools which can be used to monitor your Twitter
- Agencies such as Greenlight provide this service for brands, as
most companies do not have the social media resource, knowledge or
access to the different monitoring tools. Certain agencies have
expertise of doing in-depth social media monitoring research. They
are staffed by those passionate about the industry, keep up-to-date
on platform changes and neat campaigns, plus have extensive
knowledge about a range of industries so you can be sure their
ideas and optimisation suggestions are well
- Social listening tools such as Brandwatch, Sysomos and Radian6
help analyse your Twitter results.
- HootSuite Pro account & TweetDeck
- If you are advertising on Twitter, it also provides some
analytics for you.
- Schmap.it is a great tool and used by many Fortune 500
- SocialBro is a favourite amongst many big name brands as well;
it helps you learn about your community through search criteria and
How can you use Twitter to target different sectors?
- Twitter is a great way to discover influential people in
specific industries, as well as brand ambassadors. By building a
relationship with these users, you can begin to show your industry
knowledge and brand personality.
- By engaging with high profile tweeters in key markets, you
naturally begin to enter streams of conversations with users who
are interested in your brand/industry, resulting in many of them
- Producing and sharing campaigns and content that are suitable
for that market is really important. If you do not produce strong,
engaging content, users will not follow you.
What are the key dates and times that people will be talking
about Christmas on Twitter?
- In December, Twitter is inundated with Advent Calendars, 12
Days of Christmas Giveaways, Christmas Wish lists and Stocking
Stuffers. Most campaigns begin by launching hints and mentions two
weeks prior to the start of the campaign.
- One of the busiest days on Twitter's is Christmas day and the
period just after it. We are a society who likes to share.
How advantageous is it to use a celebrity to promote campaigns
- It is always nice to have a celebrity promote your brand,
although users are beginning to crack down on mindless celebrity
endorsements. Recently, Nike ran into a problem with Twitter from
their #makeitcount campaign, which included celebrities such as
Wayne Rooney, as the tweets were not clearly labelled as Marketing
Communications. Sometimes this controversy will lead to an increase
in spread, engagement and mentions but it might not be worth the
risk. Having a celebrity who truly reflects the brand and their
goals while also relating to the community and brand endorsements
How beneficial is it to follow organisations and
- Knowing what your competitors are doing is always beneficial to
a brand! It provides you with benchmarks, knowledge of what they
are doing and how they are doing it. It also helps you discover
conversations about your goods or services that you may want to get
- If you are a retail brand, follow your shopping centre accounts
to ensure you are up-to-date on what is happening in the centre and
see if they can promote you and vice versa. Any events in-store
should be mentioned on the centre's handle, they want visitors just
- If you are a travel brand, ensure you follow your travel
agents, airports, cruise ports, excursion companies etc. Utilising
each other will increase your reach!